This salad combines crunchy raw veg, fragrant herbs and a zingy dressing, inspired by the amazing Thai and South-East Asian cuisine available here in Singapore . You can throw in whichever vegetables you fancy; we’ve made this with roasted pumpkin, swapped snow peas for bean sprouts, using up whatever vegetables we have in the fridge, or based on what veg we can find in the market. And it’s so easy to make as well as super healthy. Buy the best steak you can find/afford as this is the star of the dish!
- 2 steaks (we like to use sirloin)
- 1 red or yellow pepper, sliced into strips
- 2 carrots
- 1 cucumber
- 1 small red onion or 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 small head of chinese cabbage, finely sliced
- large handful of snow peas/mange tout
- large handful of fresh mint leaves
- large handful of fresh coriander leaves
- large handful of fresh basil leaves
- handful of unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 tbsp Sesame oil
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Fish sauce
- 1 red chilli, minced (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 Clove of garlic, grated
- Thumbnail size piece of fresh ginger, grated
Use a spiraliser/vegetable peeler to turn your carrots and cucumber into ribbons. Add to a large bowl with the other vegetables, all raw (healthy and crunchy). Roughly tear the basil, mint and coriander leaves and throw into the bowl with the vegetables.
Make the dressing by whisking together all of the dressing ingredients.
Cook the steaks to your liking (we put these on a hot BBQ and cook to medium-rare). Leave to rest.
Pour the whisked dressing over all of the vegetable and herbs and toss to combine. Serve onto plates and scatter with the chopped peanuts.
Slice each steak into thin strips and lay on top of your vegetables/salad.
Scatter with additional chili and fresh herbs to taste, and serve with a wedge of lime.